Thursday, October 14, 2010

ruffling a few feathers.




headband: Gap, cardigan: Old Navy, tank: J. Crew,
skinny jeans: NY&Co., heels: Shoe Carnival  


Hi, honeys!  Exciting day, right? Bring out the metaphorical bubbly because it's my first outfit post.  Now let me bestow some knowledge upon you.


A.)  Dark rinse denim is your friend.  Scratch that.  Best friend.  When shopping for denim, I always look for a super dark rinse. Shades like indigo, charcoal, or black are the most slimming. Also, I look for denim without whiskering on the hips or fading on the thighs. (example)  My reasoning?  Whiskering + Fading= Arch nemesis to my bottom half.  Details in a lighter rinse have an accentuating effect, which is quite the opposite of slimming.  Also, don't be afraid of the skinny jean if you aren't the skinniest person!  Look for a good fit (no gapping at the waist, no dreaded "muffin top" effect, and, heaven forbid, no camel toe).  Also, don't be afraid to go a bit longer in length.  If the length is too short, it can make legs look a wee bit stunted.  Something that covers the heel is lovely. Just scrunch it up to get the right length.  Phew, I could write a book on denim alone. 

B.)  I love ruffles.  It's a wonderful way to add a touch of femininity and softness to a look.  It's a great way to accentuate your, ahem, better features.  Word to the wise, ruffles are best in small doses.  A little detail here and there can make all the difference in the outfit, but go overboard and you will be looking like one of ladies of the Moulin Rouge. 

C.)  Now that it's fall, it's time to bust out those comfy cardigans!  Cardis are a great way of extending the life of your summer wardrobe.  I dig this one in particular because it hits right at the hip, which has a lengthening effect on the torso.  Anything a bit shorter or longer can have the opposite effect, which is no good

D.) High heels and I have a super complicated relationship.  I love that it can make your legs look like they go on for miles and lift your rump, but I can't seem to go five steps without it spelling disaster.  Maybe I should take a class or two on how to walk in these puppies. 

E.)  When wearing an outfit that is quite monochromatic, cute little headbands are one of my favorite ways to add in a bit of color.  Not to mention it couldn't be any easier to just add-in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your thoughts are appreciated :) Remember, if you like what you see and want to keep up, be sure to follow!

xoxo,
Emily